Q & A Session with Shelley Mannell: Autism Spectrum Disorder and Physiotherapy
Diagnosis of autism relies on social, communication, and behavioural observations with less mention of motor skill ability, yet children with this diagnosis often have clear delays in praxis, functional skill performance, strength, and endurance.
The Physiotherapist has a clear role in intervention related to these impairments in a paediatric population, but the translation into clinically oriented motor programs is lacking.
The purpose of this webinar is to give members and non-members a chance to ask questions related to:
• How do these kids present?
• What is our role?
• What frameworks exist to work with children with ASD?
• How do we work with the team - PT/OT/SLP etc.?
• Behavioural considerations
• Sensory integration considerations
• ‘Tips and Tricks’
• Highlight research
Please join Shelley Mannell and the Paediatric Division in a Q & A session devoted to the issue of children and autism.
When: May 10, 2019- 12:00 pm (EDT)
Where: Online - join from anywhere! Once you register you will receive instructions on how to join.
Who: All health and fitness professionals.
What: Those who join the webinar will be able to ask Shelley Mannell questions directly.
WARNING: Space is limited to the first 500 clinicians who register.
These LIVE training always fill up fast so claim your spot right now to avoid disappointment. At Embodia's last webinar, we had over 550 people register and ran out of space.
NB. This course will be recorded and will be made available for free to Embodia Members.
Becoming An Embodia Member Means You Get The Following Benefits:
- 20% off your first premium level course. A $30-$100 savings right off the bat!
- Full access to an extensive free library (20+) of ‘member only’ courses with new ones added each month!
- Full subscription to the Embodia home exercise prescription software and exercise library (a $15/month value on its own).
- Invitation to our monthly ‘members-only’ webinars hosted by an Embodia instructor.
- Monthly ‘member only’ discount days (20-40% off) on premium level courses.
- Includes a 30 min, 1:1 professional development consultation. A $150 value!
- Members have the option to apply to be an Embodia Instructor (avg instructors- makes $500 per month).
If you're ready to subscribe and become an Embodia Member, click here. Once you sign in you will be redirected to the correct page where you can subscribe.
PT, BSc , BHSc
Shelley Mannell is a Physical Therapist with over 30 years experience serving babies, children, and adolescents across a spectrum of neurological and developmental disabilities. She integrates a broad range of clinical skills and research to provide innovative neurobiology-informed treatment of children with movement disorders. Shelley founded HeartSpace Physical Therapy for Children in order to support clients and families as they matured through the lifespan.
Shelley began teaching as a clinical faculty member in the Faculty of Rehabilitation Science at McMaster University and remains committed to improving the care for children through clinical research and education. Shelley is certified in both NDT and SI. She is also a children’s yoga and meditation facilitator and the co-creator of Dynamic Core for Kids, an evidence-based approach to central stability for children with motor and sensory challenges. Shelley also provides mentoring to therapists world-wide through her blog and her online program. As a respected international speaker, Shelley discusses the dynamic systems nature of the development of postural control and its application to assessment and intervention for children with sensory and motor challenges.